Tuesday 14 February 2012

Opera Project

Wow, it’s been a looong time since my last post. But that doesn’t mean I’ve done nothing. The Liceu of Barcelona contacted my university, and they contacted us to make projects whose purposes were to bring opera to the Young. In my opinion, we (the young generation) like complex experiences. Videogames like Deus Ex, The Witcher 2, Portal 2 and on shows that. So I decided to make a videogame about Pelléas and Mellisande, a symbolist Opera by Debusy. The symbolism allowed us (me and two other fellas who didn’t know nothing at all about 3d or videogames in the beginning of the project) to introduce cues in an environment so the player can follow a “story” focused just in the environment itself.

Because more than a videogame, this is a “contemplative environment”, you can’t interact directly with assets, there are no enemies, you can’t fus rod ah stuff and of course, we did it in French. Why? Because the original opera was made in French and we wanted to preserve the essence of the opera.

 That way, no animations were made, no voice recording (or maybe yes), and no programming stuff I don’t know how to do because my level isn’t enough. Aside from that, I had to teach my peers 3d and most important, 3d for videogames from scratch. Long and tedious task, but really happy with the results. We designed a coherent forest (the design of the forest, witch is open-space leads the player to the objective) and introduced then the symbolism of the opera. Water means truth, the fountain love, the castle sadness and danger, and so on. That’s why you have to follow the river and arrive to the lake if you want to know the truth.

 I did all the natural stuff and the modular meshes for the castle, and they made the dock, the sword, 70% of the plants, the fountain, the sacred rocky arched door, and the rest of unique props.
The costumer was really happy with the result and really enjoyed running in the forest searching for Melisande’s love.


Really proud of the result after 3 months of work.


Download Project 270Mb

Coming soon an entry in my portfolio with the design notes and a video.









No comments:

Post a Comment